Monday, April 4, 2011

Complaints about Spirit Airlines? Get in line

  1. Norma Says:
    Spirit Airlines,
    I’m writing this letter to file a complaint about a recent flight that I had to change because of a medical emergency. The flight was from Orlando to Fort Lauderdale. My wife was supposed to fly in from Manchester, England to Orlando then to Fort Lauderdale. She became deadly sick with a stomach bug that was highly contagious. She first called Virgin to change her flight; they were courteous and thoughtful and helped us make the changes with no problem, as long as she had a doctor’s note. Then came Spirit airlines. We informed your airlines of the situation and that if she did fly she would have put all other passengers at risk of getting the stomach virus. You really didn’t try to help or care at all. All you wanted was $110 to cancel or change my ticket. I informed your customer service that my wife was still going to fly with Spirit but just not till she was not contagious any more. Still all I heard was you needed $110. I guess it doesn’t matter that we were doing you a favor and protecting your passengers or that the ticket only was for $76 in the first place. It seems other airlines put their passengers first but in your case it’s all about the money. My wife is flying today 03/10/09 with a clean bill of health, unfortunately we had to book with Spirit airlines again only to find out that the price is now $142 one way. Is there any way that something can be done about this unpleasant situation.
    Sincerely, John Pollio
    e-mail: jnpollio@bellsouth.net
  2. TJR Says:
    SPIRIT HAS LOW FARES BECAUSE THEY DONT CHARGE THE CHANGE FEE IN THE THE TICKET PRICE LIKE VIRGIN DOES FOR ALL ITS PASSENGERS – SPIRIT ONLY CHARGES THE ONES WHO CHANGE THE FEE, OTHER PASSENGERS TAKE ADVANTAGE OF HTE LOW FARES WHICH SEEMS WORE FARE THAN CHARGING EVERYONE FOR SOMETHING THEY DONT NEED
  3. No Spirit Says:
    I enjoyed a gorgeous spring break in Florida with my family last week. However, all of that warm sunshine was ruined Tuesday morning when we tried to return. We arrived 40 minutes early because our driver was delayed and were told that we could no longer proceed to the gate. We waited in line for another 20 minutes to see what our options were. At that time we were told that we would have to rebook for the next day and pay an additional fare of $130 – meaning that the tickets we had already paid for would not be honored. I suggested that my husband who had work meetings go ahead and see if he could make the flight. He made it.
    Waiting an extra day was not an option for my son and I. He had already missed an extra day of school and I had meetings at work. So we had to rebook through JetBlue at a cost of $686 for both tickets.
    In the meantime, my husband made his flight. He told me that when he got to the gate, they were calling the standby passengers. Here is my complaint:
    1. Spirit did not give us options. They merely said that we would have to rebook. Since it was just an issue of the luggage, we could have made other arrangements, but nothing was offered.
    2. There were about 20 other people in line – a number who had luggage that would have been able to pass as carry ons. It appears that Spirit is doing this to boost ticket sales. They not only saved the cost of our original ticket. They wanted us to buy another ticket. AND they sold the tickets we paid for to standby passengers.
  4. Fred Jafee Says:
    you would not have this problem if you where ontime for your flight – 45 minutes is the cut off – this fair for the other passengers that want the flight to leave on-time…
  5. Fred Bedhead Says:
    I noticed you work for Spirit airlines, you forgot to mention that didnt you. You need to show up 2-3 hrs with spirit or they will give your ticket away, read all the entries/blogs from thousands of customers-Fred and stop blaming one person for what thousands of others have also had to deal with. Spirit treats passengers like cattle!
  6. Rocky Says:
    That stinks that that happened to you. I don’t think Spirit is alone though. It’s just a business. Their bottom line is to make money. Of course they try to treat their customers well to an extent, but any chance they have to make more money I would expect them to take it!
  7. David Wilson Atlanta Says:
    SPIRIT AIR MASTERCARD CREDIT CARD
    Ive never had more confusion and hassles in trying to close this account. For 15 minutes the non-english speaking (but very nice) account rep tried to get me to keep my account open. From waiving the $39/annual fee FOREVER to lowering the annual interest rate of 30.24%(REDICULOUS)…all in vain…once Im done, Im Done!
    The bad news is I am a great customer. I signed up for this card to get airline miles. I currently have 17K miles in my balance and since they they closed the account, I was told I would lose all of my miles which I believe is illegal of the company. The miles were never transferred to my Spirit Air miles account and the different divisions couldnt verify where my miles were or anything regarding my miles.
    SO REALLY SPIRIT AIR?? Where’s some help for a customer who takes more time from my day to fly your airline instead of a direct non-stop flight to Orlando on another airline and only saving 60-75$ and taking 5 hours longer…
    OK, I know you get the point. Now please get me other points back and posted to my Spirit Air Account.
    David Wilson
    Atlanta, GA
  8. Shanelle3 Says:
    I had an 8:58 flight to Ft Myers from Detroit. I arrived at the airport at 7:20. Had prepaid for my bag and already printed my boarding pass, but still had to wait in the full line to check my bag. The line stretched down past about three other airlines check in stations.
    When we got closer, they split out Ft Myers and Orlando – Orlando was leaving 9 minutes later, but they got the “go directly to the counter”, line while Ft Myers got the longer, “rope maze” line.
    They had at least 5 check-in stations, but only 2 people working most of the time. Either the workers or the PCs are very slow… 3-5 minutes per person just to print out a sticker for the bag.
    As we got even closer, we found they were letting people walk up from the side and check in ahead of everyone!
    Finally got up there, checked in, gave them my bag, ran down to the gate…. just in time to see the plane pull away.
    When we got back to check-in to rebook, the agent had the audacity to ask the person in front of me (who was in the same boat I was in) why she had missed her flight.
    From what I’ve heard, Spirit is like this every day. The last time I flew with them, they had only one person working (but 2 working the booth to sell credit cards) and let anyone who had paid for a seat (they charge if you want to pre-select your seat, even middle seats) cut ahead.
    Wasted over 150 miles of driving and gas going back and forth to the airport.
    Never again will I fly Spirit. Delta is a much better choice, even if they end up costing more… almost never a line (check in at a kiosk, walk up with your bag, takes them about 30 seconds). Plus they give you a soda or juice, pretzels or peanuts, and water on the flight. I know that costs them all of $1, but I appreciate the little things at this point. Spirit makes you pay for water.
    Oh, good news for those with Spirit credit cards though – apparently they get to skip to the front of the line for check-in.

5 comments:

  1. I have flown Spirit many times and am a $9 fare club member. I planned a trip to Cancun and booked a flight accidentally entering Tampa instead of Ft. Lauderdale (where we always fly out of for Mexico and Colombia). When I realized my mistake, I called to change the itinerary and was told that it would cost me $200.00. I found this strange since I was simply missing the first leg of the journey to EXCLUDE a flight from Tampa to Ft. Lauderdale. How this would have cost Spirit ANYTHING is beyond me.

    I decided to keep the reservation and fly from Tampa to Ft. Lauderdale then on to Cancun - my confirmation code was GETPGR the flight number from Tampa to Ft. Lauderdale was 571 and from Ft. Lauderdale to Cancun 301 – the date was April 3rd 2013. We were meeting friends who were arriving in Cancun from Toronto. We were to arrive at Cancun before our friends and pick up the rental car which I had reserved. We were to arrive at 10:36 Cancun time. The flight from Tampa to Ft. Lauderdale was delayed. The pilot assured all of the passengers that anyone with a connecting flight would make their flights. He LIED. When we arrived in Ft. Lauderdale we were informed that our flight to Cancun had departed. I don’t like being lied to and I didn’t like getting to Cancun ( on a JetBlue flight ) at the worst time to arrive for getting through customs – the custom line would have taken us 5 minutes instead of the hour and a half that it ended up taking. Our friends arrived before us got through customs quickly and took my reservation for the rental car – unfortunately they were charged an extra $300.00.

    The mistake I made in booking the wrong departing city was my fault – refusing to let me change it without charge and then adding insult to injury by causing us to miss our flight to Cancun is in-excusable. You can check your data base to see how often I fly on Spirit – I never use free miles as I simply don’t have time to bother with it. I pay for the flight, I pay for my seats and I pay for my luggage. I would expect that Spirit, in consideration of my patronage would extend the courtesy of a free flight to Cancun….this time from Ft. Luderdale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yesterday, 8/12/2013, I was on flight NK 197 from NY LaGuardia to Ft. Lauderdale at 10:50am, seat 25D. First of all before the flight took off, the flight attendant asked my husband and son if they minded moving to the exit row seats both are huge sized men. Apparently the women in the exit row were very small and not comfortable with sitting there. But after my husband and son got up there, they had changed their mind and became belligerent with the flight attendant swearing at her. They finally moved back to my husband/son seats. They were yelling and nasty the entire time. When the flight attendant told them to shut off their cell phones they refused and used them the entire time through take off. I’m not sure why they were given so much tolerance when clearly they should have been removed from the plane. The entire trip when they were not using cell phones, they kept their computer on just to be defiant.
    The entire trip I also had a 5 year old sitting behind me, kicking my seat. About an hour and a half into the flight I called the flight attendant over and told her I could not take it anymore, it was making me sick to my stomach the constant kicking. She talk to the mother sitting behind me and told her you cannot allow your daughter to kick the seat in front of her. The woman informed the flight attendant that her daughter was only 5 years old and cannot be expected to just sit there without kicking the seat in front of her. They argued back and forth until finally the flight attendant gave up and left. The mother told her 5 year old to kick the seat harder and that is how I finished my flight.
    I hear horror stories on the news about people being wrongly removed from the plane but yesterday all I saw were flight attendants putting up with far too much and not standing up for the airline or the other customers.
    I can barely get out of bed this morning, my back is on fire from the abuse I suffered, don’t think I will be flying anytime soon. If hope you remove whoever was assigned to these seats from their return flights, as they should not be exposed to humans.
    And I would strongly encourage you to have your flight attendants trained to throw people off that do not comply with rules instead of tolerating bad behavior!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lot for sharing this blog with us!!!
    spirit Airline Reservations is leading in international travel that offers airline tickets & flights to many destinations in USA.
    Call: +1(484) 968-9217
    https://sites.google.com/view/spirit-airline-cheap-ticket/home

    ReplyDelete
  4. It’s going to be ending of mine day, except before ending I am reading this impressive article to increase my knowledge.if any one looking cheap air ticket and discount so Call +1(484) 968-9217


    https://sites.google.com/view/americanairlineschangeflights/home

    ReplyDelete