Monday, April 4, 2011

Spirit Airlines is one of the most complained-about airlines flying today.

Overview
Spirit Airlines is one of the most complained-about airlines flying today. In an effort to be come what it calls an “ultra low cost” carrier, it has cut back or eliminated many of the customer service considerations that air travelers take for granted. Recently, despite outsourcing its customer service call center, Spirit appears to be taking customer service questions a little bit more more seriously. Let’s see if the trend holds.
If you have a customer complaint, please read this before contacting the company.

Primary e-mail
spiritair@mailnj.custhelp.com
Primary contact
Heather Harvey
Manager, customer relations
2800 Executive Way
Miramar, FL 33025
(954) 628-4957
heather.harvey@spiritair.com
Secondary contact (*):
Tony Lefebvre
Senior vice president, customer service
2800 Executive Way
Miramar, FL 33025
(954) 447-7965
Tony.Lefebvre@spiritair.com
Chief executive (*):
Ben Baldanza
President and chief executive
2800 Executive Way
Miramar, FL 33025
(954) 447-7965
ben.baldanza@spiritair.com

Spirit Airlines eliminates its customer service department

http://www.elliott.org/blog/spirit-airlines-eliminates-its-customer-service-department/
Although Spirit Airlines denies reports that it’s on the verge of making massive cutbacks, there’s evidence the no-frills discount carrier is quietly dismantling its customer service department.
Well, that may be an overstatement. But it’s not much of one.
Earlier this year, I published the names and e-mail addresses of Spirit’s executives. It’s a courtesy I extend to every airline with passengers who have service problems. Spirit’s response? It apparently changed its e-mail addresses so that it wouldn’t have to deal with its own customers. None of the addresses currently work, but if there are any Spirit employees out there with the correct contact information — well, you know how to reach me.
Since then, I’ve received numerous reports of customer service inquiries simply being ignored. Two of them landed in my “in” box just this morning.
Here’s one from reader Helen Leung, who recently returned from her honeymoon in Jamaica. Not only did Spirit charge her $20 to transport her luggage, but it lost her belongings and then refused to reimburse her for the clothes she had to buy on her vacation, even though she presented the airline with the necessary receipts.
“Spirit Airlines apparently handles their problems by ignoring their customers through phone and mail,” she told me.
The second came from reader Lana Cullum, who says an error by a Spirit reservations agent cost her $200 in bank fees. The airline refuses to answer her queries relating to the charges. “There is no way to speak to a person that I have found when you call the office in Miramar,” she says. “As far as the 800 number — forget it!”
I’m not sure if Spirit has fired its entire customer service department, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s made cutbacks or has instructed its agents to hold the line on any refunds. Either way, this is a deeply troubling sign.
Spirit was never a standout when it comes to customer service, but refusing to answer inquiries from its passengers could be a sign that the cutbacks everyone is talking about may actually represent a best-case scenario.
The worst-case scenario? Well, that’s where Spirit actually lives up to its name.
Heather Harvey June 18, 2010 at 11:02 am
Hey everyone – my inbox has been cleaned out – meaning if you’ve emailed me … I’ve given you an answer :) If you havent reached out to me – please do so! I would love to see to it that you are taken care of. Love, Heather Sr. Manager, Customer Relations & Luggage Resolution Spirit Airlines
Laurie Ann July 1, 2010 at 9:52 am
On June 8, 2010 we flew out of the Atlanta airport on our way to Ft. Lauderdale, on to Cancun. The ground personnel responsible for keeping the passengers in the ‘corral’ couldn’t have been more rude. She began by telling one and all to leave our bags in an unsupervised area-because it was so crowded. The lines were not moving and she kept shouting that “This is Spirit Air! You should have been here when we open at 5 am!” (We got there at 5:45 for a 7:30 flight. She then announced that at 6:30 no more check ins would be taken. We were on line-with 40 ahead of us, and 40 behind, when she made this statement. She refused to answer questions about “What then?” but kept reiterating that we should have gotten there by 5. We’ve flown international many times-this is insanity…. We finally checked in-at 7:10 for our 7:30 flight. Andrea, who prided herself on making passengers cry (berating one woman whose mother was traveling in a wheelchair) and kept repeating that she’s “worked here for 22 years, and didn’t care what people said,” then ran us through the Homeland Security checkpoint, by flashing her badge and yelling, “They’re with me.” I looked back-and knew this was going to be bad. As we were prepping to go thru security, sure enough, the officer and his supervisor tracked us down…and were helpful in that they didn’t make us get off, but checked our documents from there. They also asked “Who was that woman, and where is she?” We gave them the info. As Andrea ran us through, she confessed that the real reason for the back up was that the luggage conveyor belt was broken for a long time. Indeed, when we finally did make our way onto the plane, the pilot explained that we would be 30 min late to ensure that all of the passengers impacted by the screw up at the ticketing area would be accommodated. While the flight crews were great, the ground crews were utterly nasty (everyone was nice to us, with the exception of Andrea, but I did witness them speaking in ways that were unacceptable to others.). However, in the middle of our trip, we discovered that the pilots were on strike. After speaking with several other airline employees, we learned that this was no surprise to Spirit; that they knew there was a drop dead date, esp. given that the pilots had been in negotiations for YEARS. However, the airline didn’t think that giving its passengers a heads up about a possible strike was in order. Didn’t think that warning folks who were flying that they may be stranded. We were forced to book one way tickets to get home on time. Paid $677. Spirit finally did refund the unflown portion ($391) however, we are in the hole for nearly $300… If we had known that there was a drop dead date, we would have selected another airline. Spirit is responsible for our having to pay nearly three hundred dollars-along with every other person having to spend extra money on hotel and alternative airfare. I’d never heard of Spirit before this. Now? I have warned damn near everyone I know to avoid them (I was told after I had booked by a trusted friend, “Oh, you will fly them..ONCE.” She knew what she was talking about). I truly think everyone who was forced to pay out of pocket to make alternative arrangements should be reimbursed.
Gregory Barrette July 2, 2010 at 3:46 am
The sixty days that I must wait until you refund my money does nothing for you and only hurts me. It gives me a bad feeling and you an aura of bad will. Why would anyone want to fly on an airline that appears punitive to its loyal customers, just so you can get a float of two months on their hard earned cash? I had to rebook the flight at my own expense and ate the difference. I am a pastor who was asked to celebrate a church’s anniversary and that of its pastor. Thank God for US Air, who got me there in the nick of time. I was unemployed last year. This money is important to my family, my kid’s meals. You get nothing good out of this. This is bad business practice and can only hurt your bottom line ultimately. Greg Barrette
Mr Engineer July 11, 2010 at 2:23 am
Madura: Do you realize that what you are advocating, filing a false report for lost baggage, is fraud? Here in the USA fraud is a crime and the person perpetrating fraud is called a criminal. Is that who you really are?
JoJo Chen August 2, 2010 at 4:10 pm
i HATE Spirit Air… they’re VERY irresponsible…!!! On my way to Mexico, had a carry on with me, which it was small enough to fit… but without any questions asked, they took my carry on and said it was too big we need to check this bag in, and just gave me a sloppy handwritten with a few numbers TICKET… and didnt even tell me where to pick up my bag… and told me to rush in on the plane…!!! It was NOT a direct flight to MEXICO… we had to change flights in Ft. Lauderdale… therefore… when I got to Mexico… i’ve waited for ALL the luggage to come out… and NONE of them were mine…!!! i went to speak with the one that’s responsible for the luggage… and they told me to just go to the resort i’m staying in, and they will send it over later or latest tomorrow when the next plane comes. By the next day, they just told me there’s NOTHING they can do… cause there’s NO MORE LUGGAGES in the Cargo…!!! they just said, IF YOU WANT, when you’re leaving Mexico, and on your way back.. Go check in Ft. Lauderdale Airport and see if you have any LUCK…!!! i mean, what the hell is that ?!?! obviously i didnt have any LUCK, and once i got home… the WHOLE WEEK i’ve been trying to call Spirit Airline and Baggage Claim in New York.. they just took me around the world… I called NY spirit airline airport they tell me to call Florida, Ft. Lauderdale… then they want me to call Mexico.. and back to calling NY…!! I Finally got in touch with someone that can help (A LITTLE)… they asked for my information, email, phone numbers (mobile & Home)… and NO ONE HAS EVER GOTTEN BACK TO ME…!!! I HIGHLY DISRECOMMEND SPIRIT AIRLINE TO ANY ONE I KNOW…!!!
Val August 20, 2010 at 3:53 am
I am beyond annoyed with Spirit Air at this present minute. It is 6:35 in the morning and I’m on vacation and I just received a phone call from my 12 year old who is at the Detroit airport with his step mother trying to board a plane for Myrtle Beach. Now I might add that pre 911 when I lived in Detroit, my son and I flew from Detroit to Myrtle Beach several times a year and both of us have periodically flewn on Spirit since from DC to Detroit (and to FL) but the Detroit route has been discontinued. When I purchased my son’s ticket, I was offered to buy a seat assignment (which I think is crazy) & to pre pay for baggage. I had to complete the information regarding my son’s age, name, all the credentials and NOT ONE TIME did it mention or require me to buy a UM fee. My son has been flying alone since age 6 (always on Southwest A/L where they have some sense and EXCELLENT customer service). When he went to Detroit he was 11 and Southwest made a point to advise that because he’d be 12 upon return, UM fees (which are only $50 at SW – and it went to the fee in the past 6 months)). I only mention this because when my son’s flight destination changed, I knew he was 12 and didn’t expect any UM fees. Today I learn about Spirits UM fee and I am beyond pissed because it should have come up during the ticket purchasing (like it does on everyone elses website). While Spirit was trying to sell me the nonsense of a seat assignment, it should have mentioned the UM fee, they knew his age. So this morning trying to checkin was a nightmare. His step mother didn’t have nor was prepared to pay over $100 to board this child. A baggage fee yes, but the retarded $100 — NO!!!!! And the rep, who although she REFUSED to speak with me, i could hear her being rude about it. We didnt know about the stupid fee. Buy yet they want to charge my CC but never speak to me, HOW IS THAT AUTHORIZED. I am so annoyed that if we weren’t in a pinch and my parents weren’t in route to Myrtle Beach (they live in NC) I would yank him off the plane. Rest for sure, I fly pretty monthly and will begin to fly back into Sprit’s market. I, nor my son, will fly on Spirit Air again. Can you imagine how nervous this child was. All the confusion and them demanding her to get out of line so they can go to the next person. I’m on the phone trying to understand why this fee didn’t pop or bill during the billing process, I mean who takes an extra $100 with them in this economy. I had him fly Sprit because of the schedule, but if we have to be inconvenenced, never again. NOTHING BEATS THIS INCONVENIENCE. And I just bet, you SPIRIT AIR will do nothing to make this right!!!!!!! I am appalled, and I will also inform my staff not to fly on Spirit Air, I DO EXPECT A RESPONSE, you couldn’t possibly know how annoyed I am. I am so grateful the Southwest has the routes my son needs. And if they aren’t available, he will be on US Air. Now Spirit what will you do about this????
Cap September 17, 2010 at 1:48 pm
It begins with each small community, churches and teachers and parenting. Values will soon follow. When you are at a ticketing terminal at ANY US airport, glance over to the other more expensive airlines. You will notice a difference in the demeanor of the personnel, and the socio-economic status of their respective customers. Of course there will be low-cost airlines, but with them come a relative host of differences in its staff, conduct, order and client base. Not that there is much we can immediately do at travel time, but if you look at this problem as a whole, you’ll see how important education is and from where the problems begin. Start with your own local neighborhood, attend your respective places of worship, listen, and become a voice for your area. Electing public officials to govern our society is YOUR choice. Forget the popular vote, learn what needs to be done and follow your instinct. America has become a second rate country. Values are lost. Power, Corruption & Lies married with Greed have taken over. The elected, are usually career politicians that will tell you anything you want to hear to get your vote. Think outside the box with your next vote, CHANGE has to begin with YOU. The only way America will ever get back to normalcy is by getting the reigns on Big Pharma, the corrupt FDA controlling the median age of Americans with poisons like High Fructose Corn Syrup, Splenda, etc. and policing frivolous lawsuits in the court system to lower health insurance costs and allowing the Scientists and Doctors that have REAL ways of “curing-not-patching” diseases to practice medicine in all of its forms. Stem cell research is proven to regenerate limbs, organs, nerves, brain cells. Cancer is cured through simple things like Coral Calcium and High doses of Intra Muscular IV supplements. There are hundreds of curable illnesses that the FDA doesn’t want you to know about because the Big Pharma will lose Trillions, those same deep pockets are the figureheads and think tanks that control our world and get leaders elected. Believe what you feel, not what you hear from US media. You are being influenced, brainwashed. Don’t believe me? How did we get to the state of this economy? 9-11? Why do you think that occurred? This is not theory folks, it is your reality. It starts with your home, your neighbors, patrolling your streets, being alert, listening to your children and watching their habits, instill them with values, you’re being told that religion is wrong, the Pledge of Alleigence is wrong, we never had this problem before we were forced to stop, the Constitution weighs heavily on your God and religion as the backbone of our system. We have to get back to CORE Values, the ones that our forefathers fought for and hailed to create this great country. Stand up and be counted. Use your voice now people. Get your kids in church if you don’t want them in prison or dead. Research your vote, learn the candidates agenda. Think Perot, Huckabee, Green, and understand that they wanted to REFORM America and get back to values. Seal the borders, buy American products, when you go to work each day, do your job the same way you think your great, great, great Grandparents did theirs, with pride, conviction, humility and values. It’s your vote. Do you want to continue on this same path? Do you want your children and their children to live in this type of society? If YOU don’t stand up, they will have no choice. Stand up. Get local. Get counted. ~Capper
James E Tucker October 7, 2010 at 10:35 am
I traveled on your air lines from fort Lauderdale to San Jose Costa Rica on September the 23rd My of bag was not there I waited about two hours no bag Mario Cascante filled out a yellow form the phone number was at top of page bag arrived saturday, i had a brand new desk phone an electric shaver both of em out of the box hte only thing in a box would be this video camera, the video camera is gone after returning to the airport miss Cascante didnt seem concerned about the theft but she would fill out a courtesy complaint, my concern to you sir, is not about the camera, will I be able to trust, you and your airline again? telephone number: 202-657-5626
Stephanie October 15, 2010 at 11:10 am
Heather, You have not answered one of my emails, and I have sent several.
greg October 18, 2010 at 2:08 pm
hide behind some idiot in india. they billed me two times for the same thing and i cant talk to anyone.
Nathaniel Spencer November 17, 2010 at 8:27 am
Yesterday (Monday November 15, 2010), I was returning from Cancun, Mexico on the Spirit flight NK 174. My friend and I arrived on time in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida but there was a line at customs. We made it through the customs line and then time became an issue. About ten people including ourselves were being paged over the intercom to by the gate attendant for our Ft. Lauderdale to Boston connection. Thankfully, we were rushed through bag re-check and security by the TSA agents. As we were sprinting through the airport in the same terminal (Terminal 4, Concourse H) and we were sprinting to make the gate and we were still being paged by the gate. We saw a spirit employee who had a radio and we requested she tell the gate we were only 9 gates away, (about a couple hundred feet), however, she refused to call the gate over the radio. My only explanation is that she must have been having a bad day. We made it to the gate only after we saw the doors close and we were not allowed on the plane to Boston. Additionally, the plane remained at the gate for 15 minutes after we arrived there, but we were still not able to board. It was flight 618 from Ft. Lauderdale to Boston. We then unsuccessfully attempted to have the doors to the plane opened by the gate agent. Our next step was to speak to a gate attendant to attempt to reschedule to another flight. However we were informed we could not be booked until Wednesday, November 17, 2010 (two days later) for our return flight. The gate attendant then advised us to speak to the manager at the front ticket counter. We left the concourse and went to the main Spirit ticket counter. We waited for the manager. He turned out to be the rudest person I have ever dealt with. There was only one couple in front of us, and there were four or five people who were unable to board the plane waiting to speak to him. He made us wait for 45 minutes while he conversed with his wife on his cell phone about their anniversary dinner which was that same evening. After his cell phone conversation with his wife ended, we spoke to him and he informed us that for another $414 we could get on a Jet blue flight (totally unacceptable). He then became very rude and short with us. He informed us that we could not get home until Wednesday and that it was our fault for missing the connection. I had never been treated as poorly by a person, let alone a manager. All we were interested in was information on how to get home. He then refused to answer any of our questions because he was irritated with our insistence that we wanted to get home sooner than Wednesday and he told us the only way to get home the next day was to book with another airline. We attempted to get more information out of him but he became further irritated. Our only option became a refund for the second part of our flight. We knew this was the best option at that time per his unhelpful attitude. We then were forced to book a hotel, which he would not help us with, (US Air was more than kind and got us a distressed traveler rate) and US Air booked us on a flight home the following morning. Because of the repeated lack of assistance by multiple Spirit employes, both the gate attendant who refused to help, and the ticket manager who was just plain mean, we were forced to buy a hotel room, we had 2 additional days of parking to pay at Boston Logan Airport, and we had to buy 2 more tickets from US Air because the Spirit manager would not help. The total additional expense was $400. I am not asking for the entire cost of the additional second booking. I only want the remainder of the original ticket price refunded, we were refunded $50 by the manager at the Ft. Lauderdale ticket counter, but I am adamant at being issued a refund for the entire price of both tickets. We were treated so poorly that it was impossible to even reason with the manager in Ft. Lauderdale. Today I spoke with customer service which was entirely indian speaking individuals who could not understand what had happened. All three people whom I spoke with; the initial employee who answered my phone call, then his section manager, and then finally his floor manager all attempted to issue me the $50 refund that was already issued by the manager at Ft. Lauderdale Airport. Because I could not make them understand the issue and therefore I asked for the contact information for Sprit Corporate Headquarters Customer Service. Thank you Sprit Air for a wonderful experience, Nathaniel Spencer
natlspencer November 17, 2010 at 8:57 am
I have received two responses that I will post below. The indian woman did not ask me any questions about the incident and she will not give me any contact information to talk to her superior. This is amazing the utter disrespect for the customer. Dear Nathaniel Spencer, Thank you for reaching out to Spirit Airlines Executives. I have been asked to address your concerns and reply accordingly. We do appreciate them and respect your point of view. We are committed to offering quality customer service and ensuring that your flight experiences are both positive and memorable. Your inquiry has been, thoroughly, reviewed by myself and my Manager. There will be no further correspondence regarding this issue as we have, previously, clarified our policy. We are committed to offering quality customer service and ensuring that your flight experiences are both positive and memorable. I am sorry that you feel your experience with us did not measure up to the standards we strive to achieve. Please rest assured that your feedback has been taken seriously. We can assure you that, guided by your feedback; we are taking the steps necessary to continually improve our operation. Sharing your disappointment helps to identify where counseling and training is needed. Thank you for contacting Spirit Airlines. Sincerely, Saleesha 62375 Corporate Consumer Relations Dear Saleesha, It was not due to the customs delay. May I please be escalated to your manager? Thank you very much, Nathaniel Spencer > (Saleesha 62375) 11/17/2010 10:20 AM > Dear Nathaniel Spencer, > > Thank you for your correspondence with Spirit Airlines. We welcome an opportunity to assist our valued customers whenever possible. > > We are happy to address your concern and sincerely apologize for any inconveniences incurred. Spirit Airlines, is not responsible for immigration delays, although, we will try our best to customers on the next available flight should they experience a delay in customs. Unfortunately no form of compensation will be given due to a customs delay as Spirit has no control of the time frame in which customs may take with customers. > > Thank you for contacting Spirit Airlines. We strive to provide you the best service coupled with the lowest fares possible. > > Sincerely, > > Saleesha 62375 > Corporate Consumer Relations
Barbara Bertone November 27, 2010 at 6:31 am
You will be receiving a letter from my family. Your rules and Boarding check in employees in South Carolina are not nice at all. The airlines customer service is even worse.
Ron November 29, 2010 at 7:23 pm
Has anyone had problems with automatic renewal of the $9 fare club. Brief facts: I joined the $9 the first and only time I flew with Spirit in 2008. In 2009 I was billed a $39.95 renewal fee that I immediatey tried to cancel. At the time I was told that it was a non-refundable fee, but I could cancel my “membership” if I wanted to. Of course, this meant I could not use the service for which I was forced to pay. My mistake for not cancelling then. This year, same thing happened but now teh fee has gone up to $59.95. I was irate and again tried to get my money back to no avail. Best I was offered was a credit for airfare, which of course would force me to spend even more money with the company as I doubt I could find a fare and pay bagagge fees for less than that. I am going to escalate this as far as I can on principle. Normally I would just let something like this go and eat the fee, but I really believe this is a coercive business tactic. Possibly a class action suit waiting to happen. I would sure like to see that!
joy bruenn January 3, 2011 at 9:40 am
I have been trying to recieve a credit that is due to me since July 2010. This is not exceptable. I need someone to contact me 914 381-1172. In Dec of 2009 me and my daughter gave up our seats to accomodate a young family from being separated because Spirit overbooked the flights. That is when our nightmare started. We were promised that we would fly out on the next available flight from Florida to New York. Three days later and $700.00 of my own money (for hotel accomodations and food charges that Spirit Airlines promised to cover) was spent. We were also promised that we would recieve free baggage service and upgraded seats. Then we tried to redeem our flights via vouchers from Spirit Airlines. Our Record locater # Z4W28S. We were charged $220.00 from La Guaria Airport because we missed our flight by 2 minutes. I contacted your headquarters office which by the way was the only place I could recieve valid information and help. They, your headquarters personel, explained that because the charges were made from La Guardia the credit would have to be recieved from LaGuardia. I contacted Laguardia Airport manager for Spirit Airlines who promised to issue me a credit in Oct 2010. That never happened. After scolling up and seeing all these remarks from other passengers I am confident I will never hear from you but I will leave my contact information anyway, just in case. Joy Bruenn 914 381-1172 home # cell # 914 879-9632
Wilda Connor January 4, 2011 at 8:40 pm
I’m having the same problem as Ron. The service fee has jumped to $59.95 and I haven’t flown Spirit for years. I cannot get through to anybody to cancel. How did Ron make out?
Stefano January 6, 2011 at 7:23 pm
January 7, 2011 2800 Executive Way Miramar, FL 33025 To Whom it May Concern: Flying with Spirit Airlines out of Fort Lauderdale Florida on January 4th is the worst experience I have encountered when it comes to customer service with any business. I have worked with Mercedes-Benz USA for the last 7 years and one of our mission statements is to “treat everyone like your grandmother” we work and live by giving the absolute best or nothing. This is why Mercedes-Benz has successfully been in business since 1886 and the reason our store that I work at is #1 in the central region. I do understand that people/companies have off days but this is far beyond that. I strongly recommend for Spirit to change their mission statement to “the customer is always wrong, and if you don’t like it fly with American Airlines you will get better service.” This is what I was told when trying to fly back home to Chicago Illinois on January 4th from Fort Lauderdale International Airport by a Spirit Airline employee. I have this whole process recorded on my Flip Cam Digital Movie Camera. Before arriving to Fort Lauderdale International Airport I checked numerous times through http://www.spirit.com if my flight was to depart from FLL on time, at 9:30PM. I confirmed even when waiting in line to check my bags in, and the conformation showed that the flight was still on time. I also confirmed for a 3rd time with the touch screen computers, which Spirit provides (for what they call) “express check-in.” After waiting for 45 minutes to check my bags through a Spirit check-in attendant I was told that my flight was delayed until 12:30AM due to mechanical issues with the plane. I understand that safety is the number one concern when flying, so I did not have an issue having to wait for a mechanically safe plane to fly back home. My problem began when I overheard a female spirit check-in attendant telling a passenger next to me who was checking their bags in on the same flight, that the plane is delayed due to not having pilots, or a crew to fly. Why was I told that this was a mechanical issue? It seemed like Spirit employees gave any off the cuff response to shut us up. Then I found out the truth, there was no one to fly the plane due to scheduling errors made by Spirit. I proceeded to ask my check-in attendant if I could get a connecting flight home, she rudely responded “NO.” She noticed that my fiancé was upset due to the fact that we would not be arriving home until 3:00 AM CST. The Spirit employee then told my fiancé and I, “If you don’t like the service that we provide you should have paid more money to fly with American Airlines.” THIS IS WHAT I HAVE RECORDED. I responded by telling her that we paid $890 for 2 round-trip tickets from Chicago to Fort Lauderdale. It’s not cheap by any means especially when you even have to pay $30 per person for carry-on bags, when most airline companies do it for free. I would have paid a $1,000 at that point not have to talk to another Spirit employee and take another competitors flight out of Fort Lauderdale. Unfortunately since it was late at night there were no other flights available to Chicago. At this point it is 8:45pm and I asked to speak with a supervisor. She seemed to be confused as to where here supervisor seemed to be. She told me to move aside as she checked other passengers on to other flights. As I waited for another 50 minutes for her to find a supervisor I decided to call Spirit Airlines customer support number (800) 772-7117. I waited for over 32 minutes on the phone to speak with a customer service representative. I told “Dave” if that’s his real name the situation, and that we were upset with the way that were being treated and handled. Dave proceeded to apologize for any inconvenience that Spirit has caused. He said that I would be refunded a total of $566.00 for my troubles. He also gave me conformation # I finished my conversation with Dave and he told me that my refund would come within 60 days and that I would receive a conformation e-mail that I still have not yet received. I got off the phone with Dave and continued to wait for a Spirit supervisor. Finally after 50 minutes of and being pushed aside like a 2nd class citizen, a Spirit Supervisor showed up and typed my name in the data base and said that we were taken off the flight going home because I was receiving a refund of $566. I was never told by the customer service representative that I had the option to wait and go home at 12:30AM or being taken of the flight, and receiving $566. Dave told me that they were just going to refund me $566 for my troubles. Spirit supervisor continued to disagree with me and told me that I had to make a decision as to what I was going to do because the flight was going to leave with or without me. I decided get back on the flight because I had no other choice to get back home. Spirit employees still charged me for 2 carry-on bags, which is ridiculous for a flight that we didn’t know if it was going to leave or not. After having my time wasted for almost three hours and the poor customer care that I received I decided to show the Supervisor and the Spirit check-in attendants that I had filmed the entire dialogue between myself and all of the Spirit employees and continued to do so. I was screamed at by the one of the Spirit female employees that she was going to call the Police for filming like I was criminal. I was not doing anything criminal I was exercising my 2nd amendment right. I have over 4 witnesses to testify on how I was treated and screamed at. I filmed because I wanted to protect my word and to show that there is no justification for treating a paying customer the way that my fiancée and I were treated. I proceeded to go on the flight and go home after exhausting all of my options. My knee is still in pain because I sat all the way in the back of the plane, and Spirit does not seem to accommodate passengers that are over 6 foot 2. The lying and manipulation of Spirit Airlines employees caused me to have emotional distress since I came back home. To conclude this, all I’m asking for is the $566 that I was told I would receive back by a Spirit Airline Employee for my inconvenience and stress. If the matter in not resolved, I will not hesitate to bring the film to all of the major news networks and media outlets in Chicago, which is the 3rd largest market in the United States. I’m sure you do not want Spirit employees on TV telling a paying customer that they should have paid more money and flown with American Airlines for better service. Please handle this matter accordingly and as soon as possible. Thank you for your time and cooperation. Down below is my contact information along with Flight Number. Best Regards, Stefano Vitale
Rachel Gladstone January 13, 2011 at 6:43 am
REALLY ?? I have sent 6 emails and NOBODY has answered me. It makes me feel like you dont care what your airline did to me MY WEDDING DRESS was missing??? not Shoes not a tooth brush (though those were also missing) BUT IT WAS WEDDING DRESS! My wedding week my honey moon and you all JACKED UP the first 36 hours. And pretty much told me to not get married in that dress???? My grandmother Aunt and cousin made it? Youre all so rude I WANT AN ANSWER! Here is my email maybe you’ll see it NOW! THANKS BEN GREAT JOB! :Hi Byron and Ms. Sabbath This is Rachel Gladstone was McCracken at the time of this mishap. I hope you both remember me i spent hours on the phone with you on May3rd 2010. I have sent many emails to spirit to complain about what happen to my hubby and I and for some reason nobody replies to me or they are not receiving my emails? Don’t know where to start, My hubby and I got married May 5th 2010 in Las vegas NV we live in Mich, not only was this the wedding destination but a mini honey moon also. This trip was planned, booked and payed for on feb15th 2010. We get to the airport 2 1/2 hours early on may 3rd 2010 and still that was not enough time we barely made it through security and the flight attendant decided to tell us we were not seated together my Fiancee was in row 26D and me row 5F ( and i get bad anxiety ) and I’m afraid of flying keep in mind we are on a trip to go get married which was stressed to them (the flight attendants) but they did not care, once in vegas we find out our luggage is lost, we get to treasure Island in Vegas and they cant find our reservation. 2 hours later we get a room, 4 1/2 hours on the phone with spirit (india) from person to person being told 6-8 days for my wedding dress to make it here i get married on the 5th?? its now the 3rd long story short we had no clothing, no tooth brush, no birth control no shoes etc… and finally two people that did not give up on us Byron and Ms Sabbath we finaly received our luggage (wedding dress) over 24 hours later. With apologies from them and no apologies from spirit. To top off our wedding day my hubby to be’s sister wore black to please her mother (my now mother in law) she was against this wedding, cause i have a son that is not my husbands and i was married once before and my age bugs her, i am 7 years older then her son. I cry over that day a lot and Im still hurt by that trip and we can’t afford another one. Not that the last part is any issue of yours but what a miserable time for us. Thanks to Byron and Ms Sabbath and their hard work we got our luggage back and i was able to marry the man of my dream in the beautiful gown made by my aunt, grand mother and cousin. I would like this letter sent to the ceo’s of spirit or Ben the owner of spirit. I want to see some kind of remorse for what happened to us and would like for you both ( Byron and Ms Sabbath ) to be rewarded by your Company! Please please help me out this one last time. I hope you both receive this email. GOD BLESS Mrs Rachel Gladstone
'suzanne reek January 22, 2011 at 7:13 am
This is the second year in a row that I have gotten stuck paying for the 9 dollar club. Two years ago I called spirit to ask them to cancel my membership. I was told that I was stuck paying and would need to notify them in writing to cancel this for the following year. I did exactly that. I did notify them in writing. Well I got billed again. What state is this company located in so that I can file a complaint with the Attorney General for that state? This is getting crazy. My credit card put a block on spirit that is good for 4 years.(Amex)
Eddieb February 12, 2011 at 10:09 am
In RE: Customer No. T4D7UV; Flight #230; Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. Monday, February 7, 2011 at 5:00 p.m. Dominican time; I check in to Sprit Airlines Flight #230 in Santo Domingo. Upon checking in I realized that my ATM card was not in my wallet. I accidently left it in the last ATM machine I used. I could not pay for my baggage. I only had 750 Dominican Pesos. (As you may or may not know, The Dominican ATM’s will only allow limited pesos) The Manager at the Spirit told me I HAD TO LEAVE MY BAGGAGE BEHIND!!!!! I was in disbelief. This manager made it a WAR to ascertain my luggage. Two other workers watched closely with larceny in their eyes. I could not believe what was happening to me. I had my daughter Western Union me $150.00 USD. I immediately jumped in a taxi toward Boca Chico. The money didn’t transfer. Another glitch. I jumped back into the taxi to catch Flight #230 from Santo Domingo. (I have since wired the Taxi Driver $50). While boarding the plane, the MANAGER and the same women with larceny in their eyes tried to possess my luggage. I became disgusted. I emptied it and put everything in a plastic bag. I gave the toiletries & other assorted personal items to the people in KFC and boarded the plane. This made the Spirit Manager angry. He ran onto the plane before me and tried to get the co-pilot not to admit me. The co-pilot ignored him. THE PLANE WAS ONLY ¼ FULL!!!!!! Recommended Action: 1. Terminate this manager IMMEDIATELY! 2. Please change your international baggage policy; and 3. Allow ALL baggage then hold the baggage at the traveler’s destination for payment. I do not understand this hostile policy. I would have been more than happy to return to O’Hare Airport and pay $33 Dollars for my luggage. This policy does NOT make sense. I normally fly United Airlines; this is my first AND LAST time flying Spirit Airlines. How could your organization be so hateful? How could that Manager be so cruel? I was in severe duress. I had no working phone and could not access money. Not to mention, I was in a foreign country that denied me access to such. I have money. Money is NOT the issue. Service is the issue. Moreover, according to my banker: I could have used my routing and account number to pay for the luggage. Yet, your employees were after my POSSESSIONS!!! This is completely unconscionable. Please take action immediately. No customer should have to face this unscrupulous behavior again. SPIRIT have THEIVING ASS EMPLOYEES!!!!
Lee Noto February 12, 2011 at 10:03 pm
To whom it may concern, I recently purchased a ticket for my boyfriend on Spirit Air for $9. We paid for the seat charge and taxes etc. Overall the ticket price came out to $30 and some change. We confirmed the gate number, flight number, departure and arrival time on his boarding pass, online and over the phone. (Please note, I am a very detail-oriented person, so I am careful about these sorts of things). The flight was to depart the Orlando MCO airport at 3:25pm on and to arrive at the Ft. Lauderdale FLL airport at 4:25pm. He arrived at the airport at 2:00pm to check in and the woman at the desk informs him that the flight departed at 1:25pm! She confirmed all details and said that he should have arrived 5 minutes earlier. I then called Spirit and gave them his confirmation number. They said that he was filed as a no show (this was before the actual flight had was scheduled to depart, so how can he be a no show?). I spoke with 2 representatives and then a supervisor who said that I could re book and pay the full price. Another representative told me that the flight left on time at 3:25pm. At this point, I had been on the phone for over 40 minutes, and he had legitimately missed the flight! The woman at the desk (at the airport) was EXTREMELY rude and said that he could either re book, take a flight with Southwest or rent a car. I find their lack of help to be extremely unprofessional! I re confirmed the details on many occasions to make sure that he wasn’t at the wrong gate etc. The woman at the desk said he wasn’t and there was nothing she could do for him. When he asked for her name all she gave was her first name, Cynthia, and would not give a last name or employee ID number. The loss of the $30 is not the moral of the story here, its the principle! I found it completely unacceptable. They’re disregard for a paying customer is of utmost absurdity! It then became the Spirit representative’s word against my boyfriends when I spoke with the Supervisor that I contacted through the 800 number. I know that you have no control over what occurred today, but we both feel debased and disregarded after this incident. I would like to know if there is any way that he can receive a refund for the time, money and stress that this caused. Thank you, Lee
Vilmarie Nixon February 23, 2011 at 7:29 am
This morning my elderly mother was denied and basically forced to purchase a new ticket. My mother and I will admit she got there late, 20 minutes prior, but the plane was still not leaving and the doors could have been opened for her. Spirit Air counter representative was not willing AT ALL to help my mother. In fact after several minutes of trying to sort out the situation my mother finally decided, she is traveling to see her dying sister in Connetticut, to purchased yet another ticket. The new lady that was now helping her asked the lady (that refused entrance to my mother) if the airplane doors could be open but the lady said NO. That tells me that it could have been done but the lady HAS NO CUSTOMER SERVICE SKILLS or is a money scam in the part of Spirit Airlines. I am very dissatisfied with today’s service. We have use Spirit Air for the last six years and had never have a complain about it. In fact we would always recomemded but now this incident change our mind. It is with regret we will no longer use Spirit Air. As people has said before it was too good to be true. Sincerely, Vilmarie Nixon
todd charles February 28, 2011 at 2:14 pm
I have not flown this airline in years, why do people continue to patronize this company. People stop buying tickets, There is no customer service, I almost ahd a heart attack talking to incompetent outsourced people in the phillipines who are not empowered to do anything for you. I was on the phone for hours, I finally ahd to drive to the airport to talek to soemone in person. AGAIN DO NOT USE THIS AIRLINE EVER, EVEN IF YOU GET A FREE TICKET NEVER EVER USE THIS AIRLINE
Joshua Vincent March 4, 2011 at 6:40 pm
Copy of Email Sent – 3-4-11 All, I am very disappointed in my first dealing with your airline. I scheduled our flight not 2 weeks ago on Feb. 21st from Fort Lauderdale to Charleston, WV for June 12th. My family is returning from a cruise this day and we are flying out of Pittsburgh, Pa on the 4th of June and I looked forward to using your airline to get home. I live 2 hours from Charleston and enjoy using that airport as much as possible, we were renting a car to get home from Charleston and was renting a Trolley bus to take my family to Pittsburgh on the 3rd for my wife’s birthday prior to leaving so that we could return into Charleston. But this afternoon I was curious to see the price of airline prices and pulled up my reservations to find that the flight was reschedule for 9:30 am to 11:45 am, which would not allow me and my family to make our flight since we are not able to get from the cruise ship to the airport in time. I understand that flights are rearranged but I was not notified of this change by email. If it was not by my curiosity this trip could end up very bad. Once I found this out my wife spent her afternoon fighting with your customer service in India to get a refund. The customer representative at first told us that this was not their problem, then saying they could get us on the flight returning the 14th of June, finally after much arguing they agreed to refund our money. If I was operating a service like an airline in a new market like Charleston I would make sure that this service would start out smoothly. I copied the Airport Manager Rick Atkinson on this email so that he knows how the airline services are working in case this happens again. Thanks, Joshua Vincent
Cheryl Rexroad March 7, 2011 at 9:34 am
Dear Sirs, I recently encountered several of your customer service staff to find that my choice in using your airline became a very bad one. My 20 year old son, LCPL Austin Rexroad, is currently serving in the United States Marine Corps stationed in Twenty Nine Palms, California, away from all of his family in Florida. Around the 15th of February his unit learned that they would be deployed to Afghanistan on approximately April 7th 2011, and gave them leave from March 17th thru April 1, 2011, at which time we chose to book a flight on your airline for my son to come home for a visit before being deployed over seas for a second time. On February 25th, 2011 my son booked and paid for two reservations. One for himself On March 31st, 2011 for his return flight to California as he would be driving his personally owned vehicle home to be left in safe keeping while he is deployed, and as a surprise a round trip ticket for myself to be able to return to California with him on the 31st and attend the family deployment ceremonies, as I did not get to attend for the last deployment for health reasons, returning back to Florida on April 6th, 2011. Well here is were the problem starts…..On Thursday March 3, 2011, the Marine Corp issued and emergency recall of all soldiers leave and reissued an emergency leave effective March 4th 2011 with a returning date of March 13th 2011, due to the crisis in Lybia it is required that they be sent to Lybia on March 15th, 2011. At that time we contacted the reservation center to try and change the reservations. They informed us that there was nothing they could do for us that we would in fact have to buy new tickets however they would give us a small credit for the tickets we had already purchased that could be applied toward the purchase of new tickets which now are double the price since they are not within the 14 day window any longer, and after being charged a 125 dollar change fee per reservation. We asked for the second round trip ticket to be cancelled and that round trip ticket credit applied to his one way fair, but they said under no circumstances could we transfer this ticket, as I was the traveler, keeping in mind that his credit card paid for both tickets. Unfortunately my son will not be able to come home on leave as we cannot afford to pay the large increase in flight costs and the change fee on such short notice. We are not asking you to give him anything, he has already paid for the cost of the two flights, we were simply asking you to waive the administrative change fee, which you and I both now there are very minimal cost in making that change especially in the three week notice we are giving you. We spoke to nine different representatives, and as I understand this is your normal practice I also know that in the business world every rule has an exception. This is not being changed because we want to change our vacation plans, this is a change that was issued by the United States Marine Corp, the Government, we offered to provided copies of all the documentation showing the original leave and the recall leave dates, but were told that there was absolutely nothing that can be done. One of your representatives actually asked me if I was done complaining because he had calls holding. I cannot believe that there is no compassion for this soldier that risks his life on a day to day basis so that all of those representatives can live in the United States and have a job with Sprit Airlines. I understand that we are just a reservation number and we are only one of millions of fliers but it absolutely breaks my heart that the only thing important to this airline is the dollar bill. I can assure you that while we may be just a reservation number and only one of your customers, we will do our best to make sure that everyone we know, will know that your airline had absolutely no compassion for this 20 year old soldier that cannot afford to come home and see his family before he will be deployed over an administrative change fee. As I do not expect to hear from you I do appreciate your time to read this letter. With my greatest frustration, Cheryl Rexroad
Jim Bartholomew March 8, 2011 at 10:41 am
I must say, I have been VERY disappointed with Spirit Air. We were supposed to fly Ft. Lauderdale to O’Hare last April. We were offered a future flight credit if we gave up our seats for that flight. We did since the attendant told us we would arrive in Chicago the next morning. I knew I would have to miss half a day of work, but I was expected to be there in the afternoon. Overnight, we were booked up at a Days Inn and given food vouchers. The hotel was bad and we had to wait over an hour for the free shuttle. The food vouchers were a joke since the hotel restaurant closed before we got there. Needless to say, the experience was horrible and by the time we transferred in NY and delayed, I was forced to miss the whole work day! I have been trying to redeem our free flight voucher for months. It seems as though every flight is not eligible for us. My latest flights that I tried were all denied. I don’t understand what the problem is? We have 5 different destinations that we would accept. Can I please have someone contact me so we can get our free flight? If these vouchers expire I will be extremely upset and will be yet another negative review. Thanks, Jim

1 comment: